Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tenth Day

So this morning I woke up at seven thirty, got ready, and headed off to class. As I was walking, I noticed that the wind was blowing drafts of snow into the air. It was cool enough to distract me for a moment, but I didn't think anything of it until later. My first class was Children's Literature, and though we only covered the syllabus, I enjoyed it immensely. I feel as though this will be my favorite class, though as an aspiring author, that really isn't very surprising.

My next class didn't begin until two thirty, so I headed back towards my dorm. I met VJ along the way and we spoke briefly. I truthfully don't recall how I wasted my time until about twelve fifty, at which point I headed towards the Price Commons cafeteria. As luck would have it, VJ, Angel, and two other international students were eating there when I arrived, so I ate with them. At one forty I decided to head towards my next class, the lecture portion of my Biology class.

As soon as that class ended, I went to Harvey Hall for my Latin American Short Story class. Once again, this consisted of a review of the syllabus. I am rather nervous about this class, but I am always nervous about any Spanish class. As I was preparing to leave the classroom, something outside the window caught my eye. The wind was laden with snow and blowing fiercely around. Knowing I had no option but to trudge through it, I left the building.

Now as of yet I have been able to bear the cold quite nicely, due, in major part, to all of the sweaters and the thick coat my mother purchased for me. However, today I discovered that snow being blown directly at one's eyes is blinding, and that there is no defense to this. I tried to shield my eyes with my hand. When that failed, I held my hood down in front of my face. This worked better, but the snow managed to get at my eyes anyway from the open corners of my hood.

And for those of you that would suggest glasses, think again. They are worse than useless here, as they fog up when I breathe and still let the snow in. Perhaps I should try my swimming goggles...

At any rate, I sat about and did my History homework for a while. I texted Angel to text me when he was ready to go eat, and continued to do my homework. However, I didn't manage to do it for very long. History texts are incredibly dry material; I do believe they would burn quite well. Angel eventually texted me that he would be in the international dorm's lobby at seven. As I was getting ready to meet him there, I received a call from my grandfather. I chatted with him even as I walked to the cafeteria with Angel, but we hung up about halfway there.

I don't know if I've ever been so happy to eat school food. So far, I've enjoyed the food here, but then again, I've yet to eat anything other than a type of pasta. Fortunately, I've been eating carrots and fruits, but I don't think that will save me. After a frigid walk back to my dorm, I decided to take a nice, hot shower with the new hair care supplies my lovely mother sent me. Since then, I have submitted some information to my Literature professor, read a bit more of my highly flammable history text, and sent an e-mail to my Spanish teacher. Now I'm going to contemplate how early I need to get up in order to be able to eat before class.

No comments:

Post a Comment