Monday, January 21, 2013

Seventh and Eighth Days

Yesterday I had no plans except to go see the movie "Django" with Angel, VJ, Germany, and Kalofer. Angel sent me a text message saying that he, VJ, and I would meet up at the international dorm at three o'clock. From the time I got up at nine forty until two fifteen I did a whole lot of nothing, and enjoyed it, too. Once we had all walked to the movie theater, we ran into Germany outside. She told us that Kalofer had run off to collect something, so we went inside to purchase our tickets.

Fortunately, as the theater is a budget theater, the tickets were ridiculously cheap: three dollars. Unfortunately, I had spent my only bill in the mall when I purchased the unlimited pass from the man. However, just as I was about to go across the street to a bank and pray that I didn't have to pay a horrendous fee for using their automatic teller machine, VJ said that she would pay for me. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't let her, but because it was three dollars, I feel confident that I will be able to pay her back somehow.

At any rate, Kalofer came back about ten minutes into the movie and we all seemed to enjoy it well enough. It was dark when we left, so Kalofer suggested we to the nearby bar. Everyone agreed, but we stopped by the local market for a minute so that Angel could buy some spagetti sauce. Once we were in the bar, I ordered some cheese curds in accordance with my dad's wishes that I try them. They tasted much like mozzarella sticks without the breading, which was good for me because I love mozzarella sticks.

After a bit, VJ said that some of the international students were throwing a goodbye party for Valeska, a Brazilian girl who had been here for one semester already. We all had been invited, and everyone except for Germany said they would go. She had been texting her boyfriend for a while now, and was at this point "not in a partying mood." We felt bad that she didn't want to go, but didn't force the issue, and headed off to VJ's dorm to wait until the party's host came to fetch us.

After Angel and I faced off in three rousing foozeball games and three intense air hockey matches, our guide appeared and lead us to the scene of the party. We arrived at around eight o'clock. Still more guests flooded into the apartment, but not the lady of the hour. After two telephone calls and an hour and a half, Valeska appeared and was much surprised to see us all gathered to wish her well.

The rest of the party went as parties tend to go: we cut a cake, we played loud music, we wiggled about to said loud music, and eventually a guitar was whipped out and we watched Valeska perform a few songs worth of old fashioned karaoke. Eventually, at around twelve thirty, Angel and I decided that we were much too tired to continue, and moseyed back over to our respective dormitories.

I woke up sometime around nine forty-ish this morning, talked with my parents on the phone for a bit, and then proceeded to do my laundry. After my laundry was done, I decided that a good ol' dose of nothing sounded like fun and did just that. Tomorrow marks the beginning of classes for me, and I confess myself excited. I'm looking forward to meeting my teachers and learning new things (to those of you who screamed "Nerd!" I say "Touché!"). Maybe I'll even *gasp* make some American friends. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment