Saturday, February 9, 2013

Week Four

Well so much for not wanting to walk half an hour in the cold along a highway. On Sunday I waited for the bus for so long that it was supposed to have shown up twice. I then decided to hoof it to the Walgreens. Once I had picked up my medicine and a few other things, I walked back to my dorm with those items in tow. When I returned to my dorm, I felt so proud for walking the whole way that I decided to treat myself to the movies. I went to the theater, saw Rise of the Guardians, went and ate dinner, saw Wreck-It Ralph, and walked back to my dorm room again.

I went to class as usual this week, but aside from classes, something good happened to me. At some point I had stopped by the Memorial Student Center's Dining Services Office and submitted a job application. Well, on Monday I received an e-mail that said my application had been accepted. I attended a tour of the MSC dining facilities on Wednesday, and was told that I could start as early as Thursday. So, I worked after class on Thursday, ran into VJ and Mahir, and went home with them when my shift was over. Friday morning I woke up at five to go to work from six until eight forty-five, at which point I went to my English class.

Jumping a bit back in time, I went to the pool with VJ and Kalofer on Tuesday at five thirty. It was wonderful to swim again, even if I did accidentally sit on my goggles and break them. At seven, VJ and Kalofer invited me to African Drum Club. Mahir came around a little after the club started at seven thirty. I tried to play as well as the others, but I confess I wasn't any good. I had fun, though, and it didn't seem to matter that I was inept. After the club ended around nine thirty, VJ, Kalofer, Mahir, and I all went into Jeff's Pizza and had dinner before we walked back to our respective residences. However, everyone seemed to agree that the swimming followed by drumming needed to be our weekly gig, so I now have indefinite plans for Tuesdays.

Today I've been working on my English homework all day. I took a shower sometime around three and went to get dinner at five thirty (because the cafeteria closes at six thirty on the weekends). I plan to go downstairs and do my laundry in about an hour, after I finish my English homework and can start on my Latin American History homework.

My time goes by oddly while I'm here; I feel as though I have all the time in the world to do anything, but when I'm headed to bed, I wonder where the day has gone. I suppose it must be because the lighting is different here, but I think it also may be psychological to a degree. At any rate, I'm doing well despite being in the "Hostility" stage of the emotional chart that the NSE ladies gave to me. I only grumble to myself about the fact that there are televisions in the dining areas and that they never have anything decent on. So... I think I'm good.

No comments:

Post a Comment